Marriage License

Getting Married Soon? 

Please read all the requirements and Visit our Kiosk to get the most from your Marriage License experience.

Marriage License Requirements

Both parties must be present when applying for a marriage license and each must present one of the following forms of identification:

  • Valid government issued photo driver license issued in the United States; or
  • Valid federal or state photo identification card; or
  • Valid government issued Passport or Consular photo ID
  • Birth certificates or green cards are not accepted

Both parties must read The Family Law Handbook (see links below) before submitting a marriage license application. 

pdf Family Law Handout English (101 KB)

pdf Family Law Handout Spanish (258 KB)

If either person was previously married, the manner in which the last marriage ended and the exact date the marriage ended (month, day and year) are required. Copies of the death certificate, final decree of divorce, annulment or blood test are not required. You do not have to be a resident of Florida to apply.

If either person is a Florida resident, a mandatory 3 day waiting period applies. The license’s “Effective Date” will be 3 calendar days after the “Issue Date”. Non Florida residents do not have a 3 day waiting period. The bridal party will not be able to marry until on, or after the “Effective Date”. The license will expire 60 days after the issue date.

Requirement for minors at least the age of 17, one or both applicants, 741.04:

  • The person is at least 17 years-of-age and provides the written consent of his or her parents or legal guardian, which is acknowledged by an officer authorized by law to take acknowledgments and administer oaths; And the older party to the marriage is not more than two years older than the younger party to the marriage. 
  • A valid photo ID for the 17-year-old’s parents or legal guardian must be presented if a deputy clerk is administering the oath and taking the acknowledgements.
  • A certified copy of the minor’s birth certificate to show parent’s names.
  • If one parent is deceased, a certified copy of the death certificate must be presented. If a legal guardian has been appointed, a court certified copy must be presented.
  • If one of the parents has sole custody, a certified copy of the court order granting that parent sole custody, and/or termination of parental rights of the other parent, must be presented. 
  • If both parents are deceased and a guardian has not been appointed by the court, the minor must present certified copies of both death certificates. Judicial review required.
  • Standard marriage license requirements also apply.


Where consent is required, is consent of both parents required?
Yes, unless the parents are divorced and the sole legal custody and control is placed in one parent, then only the parent having such sole custody and control shall be required to give the written consent. All written consents must be acknowledged under oath (notarized or witnessed by a deputy clerk).

If we are both Florida residents, do we have to take a 4 hour premarital preparation course?
Florida law (f.s. 741.01) requires all Florida residents to either take a four (4) hour premarital preparation course given by an authorized course provider or wait three (3) days from the date of issuance for the license to become effective. Additionally, Florida law requires the course provider to be registered in our county in order for the three (3) day waiting period to be waived and for the bridal couple to be eligible for the discounted license fee.  A Certificate of Course Completion must be presented at time of application.

Who can provide the four (4) hour premarital preparation course?
f.s. 741.0305 prescribes the following to be qualifying course providers:

  1. A psychologist licensed under chapter 490.
  2. A clinical social worker licensed under chapter 491.
  3. A marriage and family therapist licensed under chapter 491.
  4. A mental health counselor licensed under chapter 491.
  5. An official representative of a religious institution which is recognized under s.*496.404(19), if the representative has relevant training.
  6. Any other provider designated by a judicial circuit, including, but not limited to, school counselors who are certified to offer such courses.

 The qualifying course provider must be registered in our county in order to be eligible for waiver of the three (3) day waiting period and discounted license fee. 

If we are both non-Florida residents, is there a waiting period for the issuance of the license?
No. If both parties are non-Florida residents, there is no waiting period for the license to become effective.

Are blood tests and physical exams required?
No. The law requiring these tests was repealed October 1, 1986. 

Must I apply for a marriage license in the county where I live?
No, a marriage license may be applied for and solemnized in any Florida county. 

Where can I apply for a marriage license in Okaloosa County?

A marriage license may be obtained Monday through Friday, from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. at the Okaloosa County Courthouse, 101 East James Lee Blvd., Crestview, FL and at the Okaloosa County Courthouse Annex Ext, 1940 Lewis Turner Blvd, Ft. Walton Beach, FL.  

How long is a marriage license valid once it is issued?
The marriage must be solemnized within sixty (60) days of issuance of the marriage license. The ceremony may be performed anywhere within the State of Florida. 

Who may perform marriage ceremonies?

  • A regularly ordained minister or other ordained clergy;
  • Elders in communion with some church;
  • All judicial officers (judges) of the State of Florida;
  • Notaries Public of the State of Florida.
  • In addition, the law provides that marriages may be performed among "Quakers" or "Friends," in the manner and form used or practiced in their societies.
Note: Boat Captains are not authorized to perform marriage ceremonies in the State of Florida unless they are otherwise qualified as provided above. Marriage ceremonies must take place within Florida’s state boundaries.

Who is a "regularly ordained minister"?
He/she is a minister who has been recognized in the manner required by the regulations of the respective denomination to perform marriage ceremonies.

We’re from out-of-state, and we want to bring our regularly ordained minister with us to perform the ceremony in Florida. May we do this?

May a marriage be solemnized without a license?
No, Section 741.08 F.S. states that the party solemnizing the marriage shall require a license issued according to f.s. 741.01. before solemnizing the ceremony.

May I use my Florida Marriage License to have my marriage solemnized in another state?
No. Florida Marriage Licenses are only valid within the state boundaries. 

Do I have to be a Florida resident or a U.S. citizen to obtain a Marriage License?
No. The parties must present valid government issued photo ID, such as driver license from their state or a passport from their country. Valid consular ID cards are also accepted.

Do I have to provide my social security number?
If you are a U.S. citizen, or have been issued a social security number, you must provide it at time of application (f.s. 741.04). Use of this number through this requirement shall be limited to the purpose of administration of the Department of Revenue Title IV-D program. It is sent to the Florida Department of Health, Office of Vital Statistics as part of your marriage record. 

Instructions for Ceremony Officiators:


Observe the dates contained in blocks 18a, and 19. Ensure the marriage is solemnized within this valid date range.  Ceremonies performed outside of this valid date range will not be accepted by the Florida Health Department, Office of Vital Statistics.


  1. Use BLACK INK only
  2. Type or print clearly all required information in blocks 21, 22, 23a, 23b, and 23c.
  3. Be sure to include your qualifying title with your printed or type-written name in block 23b.
  4. Ensure the ceremony date entered in block 21 is in the correct format of MONTH, DAY, YEAR. Acceptable format examples: January 21, 2009, or 01/21/2009. Marriage licenses which are improperly executed will not be accepted by the Florida Department of Health, Office of Vital Statistics.


Witness signature(s) in blocks 24 and 25 are optional by Florida law.


The ceremony must be performed within the state boundaries of Florida.


Please be sure to leave the upper right-hand corner, beneath (STATE FILE NUMBER), of the license blank.  This area is intentionally left blank for the county’s recording information. If you have a Notary Seal, please affix it to the area adjacent to the Certificate portion directly over the word SEAL, or affix it in block 23b.

Returning the Completed Marriage License to the Clerk:

A marriage cannot be officially recorded until the original license is returned to the Clerk. It should be returned within ten days after the ceremony. We recommend the license be returned in person, or sent by Certified or Express mail. As this is an original, irreplaceable document until it is recorded, we discourage using regular mail. Our mailing address is:

Okaloosa County Clerk of Circuit Court
Recording Department
101 East James Lee Blvd
Crestview, FL 32536

Upon receipt of the original completed license, a certified copy will be mailed to the mailing address provided at time of application. Parties who return the original license in person will receive their certified copy while they wait.

What if I need more than 1 certified copy of my marriage certificate?
One certified copy is provided as part of the marriage application fee. If you need to purchase additional certified copies, the cost is $3.00 per certified copy.

Can I be married in the Clerk's Office?
Yes. However our Deputy Clerks are not authorized and will not perform the marriage ceremony. If you decide to get married in the Clerk’s Office you will need to bring an officiator with you to perform the ceremony. As our office space is limited and we perform many services within our offices, please limit the number of guests to as few as possible. All we can offer is our shared public areas as we do not have private rooms available for marriage ceremonies. 

What is the fee for a marriage license?
Non-residents and residents who have not completed the pre-marital counseling course - $86.00
Residents who have completed the pre-marital counseling course - $61.00

What forms of payment does the Clerk accept?
In Okaloosa County, we accept: 

  • Cash
  • Money order
  • Visa, Mastercard, Discover, and American Express. (Please note, a surcharge applies for all credit card transactions.)

Changing your name after your wedding:
If your marriage means a change in name and/or address, remember to make the following important notifications:

  • Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles, Division of Driver’s License.
  • Social Security office -You are required to notify them after your ceremony.
  • Your voter's registration office.
  • Beneficiaries: Members of your family are probably named as beneficiaries or joint owners on many of these documents (bank accounts, insurance policies, employment benefits, etc.) and you may wish to make your spouse the new beneficiary or joint owner.

My spouse and I would like to renew our vows. Do we need a marriage license for this?
No. Talk to your clergyman, chaplain, religious advisor or personal counselor.

Can people obtain a license to marry partners of their own gender?

Can a person marry someone to whom they are related?
Florida law prohibits marriage to anyone they are related to by 3 degrees of lineal consanguinity. 

Where to write for a copy of your marriage license:
If you were issued your marriage license in Okaloosa County, contact:

Okaloosa County Clerk of Circuit Court
Recording Department
101 East James Lee Blvd
Crestview, FL 32536
Phone: (850) 689-5000 

Enter Info at Marriage Kiosk